My Kids

My Kids

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chief Scout Award

Last night our ward held their annual Baden Powell Banquet...and don't let the term banquet mislead you. This was a potluck chili dinner.

Okay, first, a side note, all about potlucks. Not a big fan. I will only eat my food. So will James. Actually, that's not true, we do have a short list of people who's food we will eat - but then we have to be diligent in making sure we know what they brought - so eating our own is way, way, easier. However, sometimes I'm lazy and bring a bag of chips and some salsa, so them we have to eat someone else's food or go hungry.

But last night, we ate my chili.

And then the rest of the night is all about scouting. I love to see all of our young men and their leaders in formation - the cub circle, the scout horseshoe and the Venture "V" if you are wondering.

It was especially good last night because we've kind of lost interest in helping Coleman get his Chief Scout Award, but now I'm motivated again. Really, he just has to do his 30 hour project - any ideas??

4 comments:

Renee said...

I'm the worst scout mom ever. OK, maybe not the worst, but close, so no ideas here. BUT, please post your idea so I can copy it for Oliver's Eagle project. I'd also love your chili recipe, thanks.

David said...

Can he do 30 hours of service cleaning our basement?

Barb said...

Last night I had no dinner at all, so I just came home and ate $20 of packaged school snacks instead. And regretted it later.

Laura Walker was telling me that her older boys did the whole Chief Scout thing and that for their 30 hours they volunteered at those *stay and play* programs the city runs at various community parks throughout the summer. They got their whole project done in one week of volunteering, and it totally qualified as leadership in a citizenship project.

I don't know how you find out if the city still allows 13-years-young volunteers or not. Try Calgary Parks and Rec or 311 maybe?

Bonnie White said...

N and J both received their Chief Scout awards but it was me nagging all the way to the end. Though their leaders were great; nothing can compare to "nag" equity. Josh went to the fish hatchery - had his whole troop there - they cleaned, they painted, they raked, they dug. They planted trees. He met with their manager before the event to arrange the service. Nathan did a clean up of Heritage Park along the pathways - there were needles, all kinds of nasty germ infested things over there. Again he had his whole troop join him, they worked pretty much all day. You could do the Purge the Spurge too - could help the Friends of Fish Creek put the event on - the hours don't just count for the actual thing but for the planning and organising. Some other activities that they are already doing that count as volunteering: directing parking for conference, fast offerings, food bank drive, shave your lid, Spruce Meadows' stand clean up, clean the pathways in your neighborhood come spring, work at the food bank. Your Primary Pres has a fantastic list that she received from Sis Ockey (now Pilling) who had the best program ever for scouting. Hope this helps. BTW Your hair is looking fantastic.