
First up - the MSC club cupcake of the month...S'mores cupcakes. They sounded so good and the picture looked terrific. However, I didn't love them, but some of that is my own fault. James and the kids loved them. I thought the cupcake itself was a little bit muffiny again. Obviously, it's supposed to taste like a graham cracker, but I thought it was a bit too dry and not sweet enough. BUT - to be honest I did OVERCOOK them a bit (read: black bottoms that had to be removed).
The toppings on the other hand were delicious. First you put on a coating of chocolate ganache. Need I say more? Then you are supposed to make a marshmallow topping from scratch that you then would pipe onto the cupcake in a big, huge, pile of yumminess.
However, I forgot until I was mid-making that I didn't have a candy thermometer anymore. I was still going to press on with the manual "Soft Ball Stage" crap until I read further and saw that you have to beat the topping for 10 minutes. This caused me to stop in my tracks because my KitchenAid was in the small appliance hospital. I didn't really want to stand there with my handheld mixer for an undefined length of time. So, instead, I opened up a leftover jar of marshmallow fluff and plonked it on top. And I was done.
But, while I was baking anyway, and since it was both James' bday and Valentines day this weekend, I made these:
James birthday cake - a spice cake - awaiting a cream cheese icing.

Heart Shaped Individual Pear and Blackberry Pies

A Chocolate Ganache Tart - shaped as a heart. The pink and purple white chocolate drizzle kind of melted everywhere. oh well.


15 comments:
OOOH, I especially love the picture of the blackberry and pear pies. So good. I made some cheese danishes the other day out of premade puff pastry. I'll post the recipe soon.
DELISH!
We need to come visit for next Valentine's day!!!
I'm drooling here at the computer screen!! I need the blackberry pie recipe, please!
I agree...the little pies look perfect. Please share the recipe! Oh, and i love smores so those cupcakes look super yummy.
Great job! Love how you improvised - I'm sure the marshmallow frosting tasted great (know one would even know it was jarred)! Nicely done!
mike
MSCC blog:
web.me.com/mikejdunlap
OK, I'm helping with a baby shower in a couple of weeks, and I need some cute dessert ideas. It's been a while, and my ideas are tired, so what are some of yours???? So far all I know is they're doing pink and white decorations, and they're catering Italian food.
You had a big baking day!
OoOO I'm here to check out your smores, but yummm i've had to peek at the pear/blackberry pies!! they look so so good!! Righty, back to smores....
I didnt even fuss with the marshmallow topping, if i could get "fluff" here, i would probably have found a way to use that instead. I wont be making these again. but despite all your woes and reservations, they do look nice and moist!
Great treats! I wasn't too crazy about the smores cupcakes -- they WERE muffiny!
Wow! YOu have been busy! All look wonderful. Great job!
Cute cupcakes! They were a bit of a flop for me too - very dense and just not tasty. Better luck next month, right?
yuuuum...all of that looks very, very evil!
Wow, you have been one busy lady, it all looks too good.
Love the s'mores cupcakes!
Everything looks good on this post!
Post a Comment