My Kids

My Kids

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Mountain of Books

I remember going to the library as a kid. My sister and I would peruse the stacks in search of interesting books...my strongest memories are when we were reading the "J" chapter books. Older than picture books, younger than young adult. I can picture right where they were in the Southgate Library...back corner along the wall. We would come home with piles of books...Great Brain, Beverly Cleary, Miss Pickerell. And this never ended...I just moved up to YA and then adult books. I still come home with a pile each time I go.

I remember the anticipation on the way home as I looked over my pile of books. And then the excitement once I got home...deciding which to read first. And then the sheer joy of reading, and reading, and reading as I worked my way through them all. And then my sister's as well.

And then it was time for another trip.

I'm glad going to the library regularly was a part of my childhood. And it still is a part of my adulthood. And I still get the same feelings of excitement and joy.

Especially this week when I picked up a new David Sedaris CD to listen to in the car. He is so funny.

You can see himhere

3 comments:

Georgina said...

I love David Sedaris. He is one of my favourite authors. So, so funny - I wish I could to listen to books-on-cd in the car, but that would probably be a bit dangerous - I am way too easily distracted.

Renee said...

I think he's really funny too, and his crazy sister.

The library is my favorite place to go with the kids. I picked up a couple of new books last week, but haven't been able to do much reading with all the snow days. I'm halfway through one, "The Crimes of Charlotte Bronte" and it's OK.

Amy said...

I love books, too!! The library is one of the places we frequent. So far, all of my kids, but one, are avid readers, too. Nothing better than a book on a chilly afternoon.