Today I thought I should just post random memories from my childhood for my kids to enjoy. And then I started thinking about my childhood. And then I thought about my friend Cindy. I've mentioned her before...you can peruse the archives to see where.
Anyway, I met Cindy on the very first day of grade one. After school, I played at her house. And that was the beginning of a long, long friendship. We would play at each other's houses ALL the time. I can't even remember how many times I've been to her house. It must have been at least twice a week during elementary school - and even into university I remember hanging out in her basement or her bedroom just chatting about stuff. Her mom had a drawer in the kitchen JUST full of CANDY!! I remember that drawer and I loved it. Her mom would also buy Country Time Lemonade and that Kool-Aid that you could mix by the glass - it came pre-sugared. I remember drinking a lot of that at Cindy's. I remember reading her stacks of Archie comics - even during the week in Grade 2 when we both had the chicken pox together. I remember watching TV (Emergency, Marcus Welby) or playing Intellivision baseball in her basement. I remember looking at her bookshelf during our UofA years and laughing at the fact that she had 2 or 3 copies EACH of all of Jane Austen's novels (now I just covet them). I've also slept over at Cindy's house countless times.
So, what's the point??
Here it is: for all those times I've been at Cindy's house I think I've only been in her living room TWICE! Weird, isn't it???
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


2 comments:
Your blog is very entertaining -- even when I'm not starring in it.
I'll have to use your blog as an example for my students on how specific details really make writing interesting.
I'll have you know that my kids happily enjoy my Archie collection to this day (although many of them have gotten destroyed in the car, and we have to hide the comics so they'll read other things)...
Archie comics.... aaaah! THAT's what I should pick up at the library, I totally forgot about them.
Post a Comment