Last night I was thinking about daylight savings time vs. standard time (since it was still pretty light out at 10pm). And I was trying to remember - is it daylight savings time in summer or winter? I started trying to figure it out, wondering what would make more sense to "save" the daylight hours, all the while repeating the "spring forward, fall behind" phrase in my head.
Then I gave up.
Then I thought - really I could just google this and find out which is which.
And that sums up my entire life-long learning experience. Instead of trying to figure stuff out, or learn things intuitively, I like to be told how things work. Then I can memorize that knowledge and (theoretically) remember it for when it is needed. The problem, of course, being that I can really only remember things for a relatively short time. I've always thought that if I figured things out, instead of memorized, then I would probably hold onto that knowledge for a long, long time.
But, on the other hand, I've made it this far without a problem, so why change??
Three Silver Pheasant Hens Join My Flock
9 hours ago


2 comments:
I think I have forgotten more than I learned if that is possible. While you were trying to figure out daylight savings or mountain standard time - standard to what I might ask? - I was trying to figure out when my thinking about things became so mundane and narrow. How do great thinkers keep thinking the interesting and creative things? I bet they don't have to do dishes and laundry.
Love it. I google everything, and then forget what I read within a few minutes if I don't write it down. The daylight saving time has always been a mystery to me, you know, similar to the chicken and the egg question. Deep thoughts.
Post a Comment