My Kids

My Kids

Monday, May 11, 2009

Timing is everything

Sometimes, when given an assignment, I'm quick to get it done. For instance, this week's goal that I'm working on is reading 2 conference talks a day. The goal setter suggested to read one in the morning and one at night. But I'm going to read both in the morning - I hate to wait until night for things like this. I want to read both right away so that I know I've gotten it done.

But I mostly procrastinate everything else.

I never thought I was one of those people who works well under pressure. But I realize that I do, but only if the pressure is self-imposed.

I can stare for days at a basket full of laundry that needs to be folded - and then, 10 minutes before James is coming home one day I'll decide to fold it - and I'll "need" to get it done before he comes in the door.

Or I'll know that I have some computer work that needs to be done and I'll start it about 20 minutes before someone is coming to get me.

And the best - last Christmas I bought frames for my father and my mother-in-law for gifts for them. All I had to do was print off some pictures, trim them up, and put them in the right spots. So I started choosing pictures yesterday (yes, on Mother's Day - but Kathleen isn't in town this week) about 30 minutes before church.

1 comment:

Bonnie White said...

I work right now because it forces that pressure on me. I only have this day to do whatever and so I do it. I totally do not function without deadlines and pressure. And as I told you too, it really helps if there is an element of competition in there too. I saw your Mother's Day comment but am waiting for the one I will need to edit because of your choice of language.