My favourite day of the week is today. Why? Because that's the day that Ofelia and her 2 helpers come clean my house. I love these ladies. James thinks I shouldn't tell people I have a cleaning lady...but I am (no longer) ashamed. Having them has freed me from some of my obsessive behaviours and the associated crabbiness that comes with them. Some people may think that its lazy to hire cleaners, but trust me, its not. I still clean, I still tidy...in some ways I do even more. Knowing that all the basic cleaning is going to get done frees me up to clean the walls, the cupboard doors, the insides of closets more often. And I do those things. Plus, if I want my house clean all the time, I can re-clean it all mid-way between their weekly visit. Now, before you get all upset about not teaching my kids to clean -- they still have their weekly and daily chores to do (including cleaning the bathroom, because really, you could do that everyday!). So, all in all, its a good situation for us to be in - especially because a happy mom means a happy home (barf!).
However, I will say this....occasionally I will see a mess and think to myself "can I stand this until Ofelia comes and cleans it up for me?". However, usually I do clean it up anyway because 1) I know that after picking up everything, I don't have to dust and vacuum, and 2) I don't want Ofelia to spend her time tidying up after me - I want her to clean my baseboards!
Summer in Maine 2026
4 days ago


3 comments:
Ahhhh!!! I can't even tell you how jealous I am you get Ofelia and her miracle workers once a week. Never, never, never feel ashamed...she is WONDERFUL. Good for you for cleaning your walls and cupboards in the mean time - I'm sure that's more than what I would do.
You clean your walls and cupboards?! If my floors get "swiffer"-ed then it's a really good day for me. I need to take some cleaning lessons or something because I'm terrible.
My mom gave me the greatest gift when I was super sick at the beginning of this pregnancy - a cleaning service once per week. It was heavenly and I wish we could continue to afford it now that I'm feeling better. (Of course, those ladies didn't even come close to the incredible Ofelia. She could teach me a college course in cleaning!)
Aaaah, Ofelia. I'm so jealous, but not in a judgemental way.
Do you remember my awesome Chinese cleaning lady Helen, in Germany? I miss her so much. Spencer actually thought she was his grandma for a long time! I was a much better Mom back then. So mellow and pleasant.
Post a Comment